Friday 4 September 2015

Modern Tribes - When It Burns Down (You'll See Me Smile)

  Another new band today, this one from Oswestry, a market town near the border between England and Wales. Oswestry is one of the UK's oldest settlements but I'm guessing it's never been home to a band quite as good as Modern Tribes promise to be. Despite playing together for a long time it's only during the last year that they've coalesced properly as a band.

  A trio, their line up features Eric Evans (guitar/vocals), Tim Evans (bass) and Ben Jones (drums). Influenced by the person who I often give as my answer to the question "who was the first punk rocker?" (an impossible question to answer but I think my reply is as good as anyones)....... Woody Guthrie, they name the likes of The Front Bottoms, Joyce Manor, Modern Baseball, The Menzingers and Gnarwolves as current favourite bands.

  Given those favourites it's not surprising that their sound mixes punk and indie to produce something that's still easy to stick a punk tag on it but which is inventive and refuses to be tied down to just the one genre.

  They recently released their debut ep. it's called You Do Drugs and you can check it out here : https://moderntribes1.bandcamp.com/releases.

  I could have chosen any of the songs to feature but I'll go with the one I heard first, this is When It Burns Down (You'll See Me Smile).....


Well I wonder what would happen, if I crashed my car. 
Into the front of your house set the fuel tank on fire. 
Yeah I wonder what would happen if I crashed my car. 
Into the front of your house, set the fuel tank on fire. 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile 
As it burns down you'll see me smile, 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile, as it burns down, as it burns down. 
And I wonder what would happen if I changed my name. 
Wonder what would happen would I still feel the same. 
Wonder what would happen if I change my name. 
Wonder what would happen, would I still feel the same? 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile 
As it burns down you'll see me smile, 
As it burns down, you'll see me smile, as it burns down, as it burns down.


No comments:

Post a Comment