Friday 28 August 2015

S.O.A. - Girl Problems

  Once upon a time, in punk's dim and distant past, there was a band called The Extorts. Their singer, Lyle Preslar, quit and ended up with Ian MacKaye, Jeff Nelson and Brian Baker in Minor Threat. The other members of the Extorts, Wendel Blow (bass), Michael Hampton (guitar) and Simon Jacobson (drums) dusted themselves down, hooked up with vocalist Henry Garfield and became State Of Alert (S.O.A.).

  They were only together between October 1980 and July 1981 but that was long enough for them to release one of Washington D.C.'s best hardcore punk records. A 10 track 7" on Discord Records, it was titled No Policy and it came out in March 1981. They also contributed 3 tracks to the Flex Your Head comp.

  After going their separate ways, Hampton played with The Faith, Embrace and One Last Wish. Blow joined Iron Cross whilst Garfield changed his name to Rollins and joined Black Flag (only a few days after S.O.A. had been Black Flag's support band in Philadelphia). He later formed The Rollins Band.

  From No Policy, this is Girl Problems.....

Call her on the phone; oh shit, she isn't home,
And you never know she ain't with someone else.
Better say the right thing; she might think you're a fool.
Gotta lie through your teeth to make her think you're cool.

I don't need no girl problems.
I got troubles as it is.
I don't need to waste my time.
I don't need more shit.

You lower your fuckin' pride 'cause you think she's what you need.
You don't mind the pain or the way you always feel.
It's just a fuckin' game; she's got you on a line.
Throw your feelings to the wind; she's fuckin' with your mind.

I don't need no girl problems.
I got troubles as it is.
I don't need to waste my time.
I don't need more shit.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment